Open Doors Slavic Ministries has begun fundraising to establish a shelter for the homeless in Sacramento County. Most of our community is unaware that California had about 170,000 homeless people — the highest number of all 50-states in 2005.
Also, (According to the 2011 Homeless Count and Survey), Sacramento County saw at least 2,358 people experience homelessness on any given night . The same survey estimates that about 4,000 people will be homeless at some point during the course of 2013 in Sacramento County. The Shelter Project will provide housing and basic human necessities for hundreds of local families that lose their homes in 2013. Our goal is to have our Sacramento shelter in place by January, but we need community support to make it happen.
The Sacramento Shelter Project is still in the early stages — We are currently raising the funds needed to select and close on a property for the new shelter. As you can imagine, the process is complex, but the goal is clear. The costs involved with erecting a new structure exceeds our projected budget, so we are consulting with a Local Contractor and Commercial Realtor to refurbish an existing property which must meet specific criteria. Cost will play a major role in our selection, however the property we select must meet all of the following standards:
– Have existing utilities infrastructure (electricity, water, plumbing and HVAC) approved by a state-certified inspector to meet applicable laws and standards.
– Have existing industrial kitchen accommodations, or the capacity to facilitate such accommodations without major property over-haul.
– Modest office space to accommodate small clerical staff / operations management.
– Have adequate floor-space for 50-100 beds.
– Comply with fire-code capacity laws to accommodate 150-200 People.
– Comply with Federal and State laws & zoning statutes.
– Site must be located in Sacramento, CA.
Our goal is to close on a property and begin renovations by October 1, 2012. Once that goal is met, our next step is to have basic accommodations ready for inspections & approval by January 1, 2013. Open Doors Slavic Ministries will rely solely on community funding to support The Sacramento Shelter Project. If you would like to partner with us and become a donor, you will receive monthly news-letters with updates on progress of the project, and you will be commemorated as a founding partner of the Sacramento Open Doors Shelter.
Please contact us by phone or email to volunteer, pledge your donation, or if you have any questions about the project.
We owe everything to our volunteers and donors — Your consideration is greatly appreciated.